Making a Difference in Evansville
BECOME A 2019 FRIENDS OF THE POOR WALK SPONSOR TODAY!
How your support of the Walk/Run helps to impact the lives of those we serve.
1. Our Food Pantry, through the help of approximately 120 volunteers, provided enough high quality food to last a family for three to four days to 13,704 families totaling 29,975 individuals, about 2,498 individuals per month.
2. Our Thrift Store provided free clothing to 1,326 adults and 947 children equivalent to about $27,854 worth of clothing.
3. Our Thrift Store, through vouchers paid at cost or less by our conferences, provided more than 800 free or extremely low-cost bed units to those in need.
4. Our Thrift Store provided a source of low priced clothing, furniture and household goods to those in an area of need. Sales to the area of need, at thrift store prices, totaled $38,620.
5. Our 19 conferences comprised of more than 400 Vincentians made a total of 12,650 home visits helping those in need to avoid utility shut off or eviction, obtain basic household goods, prescription medications and other necessities of life. Importantly, these visits were made on a person to person basis, hopefully expressing human concern and spiritual hope to those in need on a personal basis. Those conferences donated at total of $422,884 to people in our community.
6. A Systemic Change program was initiated in collaboration with Evansville ARC to train adults with disabilities in work ethics, interview skills and interdisciplinary skills to obtain employment and become self-sustaining or near self-sustaining. We have also started a relationship with the local ResCare Workforce Services in helping those in our community get back to work after being the recipient of social services aid. We have worked with more than 53 individuals since the program started in November 2016.
7. Recognizing the need to make improvements to our store, we have taken significant steps to reduce payroll, eliminate warehouse fees, paint and improve the Walnut Street Store and consult with retail experts to streamline and improve our store performance. We were also able to put on a new roof in 2018 through generous private donations and foundation grants.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!